Newsletter – Week 5

Playdough

The children have been exploring playdough and using tools to roll, pound, cut and make textures. Making food, such as cookies, cakes, spaghetti and meatballs, have been a popular theme lately.

Lily   This a home for my butterfly and this is a home for my heart.

Drawing and Designing

Ellie uses three rectangular cookie cutters to outline her drawing. Then she adds two stickers.  These are eyes. It’s for my Mom!  She will love it!   Ellie rolls up her creation and then fastens it with stickers.

Makenna  I’m making this for my Dad!  Lily and Makenna join Ellie in making gifts to give their families too.

Robots and Storytelling

Some ideas expressed at the robot making table…

Robots can drive in the house you know?  It has a radio, it makes music and it drives too. Maybe mine could connect to yours?  This is a vacuum, and this makes light! Maybe this piece could call people and draw and do letters, because I see it on there!

Alex listens intently as Wesley describes the multiple abilities of his complex robot.    It moves like this, and it goes like this, and the radio turns on, and then it draws and does letters. I’m going to actually attach this drill on the side instead, and then it turns on the clock and  a lightbulb!

To expand the children’s interest in robots we offered a new medium for exploration. Ink pads and various shaped items were offered for printing. Some items included  wheels, legos and beads. 

Elliot and Alex play together sharing their fascination with the new manipulative toys.

Jack and Elliot build a Lego robot together.  Elliot  It can Fly!

Wesley, Jack and Thomas experiment with the magnetic         pieces. Will they become robots?