THE SHREK SHOW

Sam has been talking about a Shrek play that he’s seen. He sits beside Rob and works with the blocks, apparently recreating the Shrek play, bringing over wooden people and various kinds of blocks. Eventually Sam begins clearing blocks off the stage, explaining: We need to make the stage for the people to dance on.

Once the stage is clear, Sam and Asha assemble chairs for the audience. Will has a seat, and points to the empty chairs nearby: There’s a space right here, and there’s two spaces there. Gradually other children and adults take seats as Sam and Asha deliver chairs from all over the room.

Kyla climbs onto the stage: I’m going to be show, dancing for a bit before leaving the stage.

Sam approaches Saige, Saige, do you want to come to the Shrek show? Saige points to a chair, as Sam explains, The Shrek show is going to begin. Asha, on the stage, calls out, Sam!

Sam replies, I’m just getting all the people.

Luca, too, dances briefly on the stage then takes a seat.

Kyla wonders, Do they have any costumes? Asha shakes her head, answering, No. Kyla turns to Mark, Do you have any costumes in Studio Blue? and Mark also answers No. Kyla puts on another show, picking up a block: This is a block and you put it on your head, and you dance. Kyla dances and claps, and then yields the stage to Asha and Sam.

Asha waves a stick, announcing, Ladies and gentlemen! while Sam runs his hands over the airplane instrument panel, saying, Controls, controls, controls.

They pause, and Mark asks, What happens next? They stand in silence on the stage looking out at the audience.

Asha approaches Mark: So Mark, when you do a show and say Ladies and gentlemen, all the people have to come watch the show. I watched a show Pirates of Penzance and all the people came.

So we’ve got all the people, and you said Ladies and gentlemen,

Kyla Wait, after they do their show, it’s my turn again.

Asha And after Kyla’s turn it’s my turn and after my turn it’s Kyla’s turn. We’re both going to take, her turn after us. But not these guys (the rest of the audience)

There is some negotiation among the audience, too, as Thomas looks for a seat, and Cal suggests, There’s a seat right in the middle. Then Cal says, Ladies and gentlemen! and Sam counters, You only have to say it when you’re going to start the show. Then he taps different places on the stage, saying, The people are going to be one in there, one there, and one here – I’m doing all the people’s spots – and one here and one here. Then you guys are all gonna – you guys are dressed up. But first a TV show.

Asha These guys have to stay in their clothes (the audience). We have to dress up.

Sam After the TV show from Shrek, we’re going to pretend…

Asha Are you promise you’re going to dressed up as a dragon?

Sam Yeah, I promise.

Asha If you’re a dragon – then, you can change… turn into a dragon.

The audience is becoming antsy and it’s time for snack, so we break it off to clean up and meet.

This is a typical picture of how three-year-olds put on a play: they set the scene, they know the “rules” (you need costumes, you can change into a dragon, you “take your places” on the stage) and yet they are stymied about actually putting the play into action. How ironic, seeing as they are constantly putting on shows as they engage in dramatic play! A dance show, however, is different, as Kyla demonstrated – since there is no overt plot, one can simply twirl and jump (or put a block on your head!).