“Illustration – Art that tells a story” – Sarah Brannen

Within Studio Yellow stories are an integral part of our morning.  We hear children telling stories to each other as they play, they draw pictures and narrate stories around their illustrations and everyday they listen to tales being read aloud to them.  The children are true authors and illustrators in their own right.  This week we had the privilege of hosting children’s author and illustrator Sarah Brannen to our studio. Sarah shared with us the journey from her first idea to its transformation into a published picture book. 

“The first thing I need is an idea.  It can be as simple as noticing a picture on a sign.” 

She shared that the inspiration for her forthcoming book was a picture of a moose on a yellow sign which she spotted on her travels in Vermont. 

“I then go for a long walk and think of the story I want to write.  I then write it down in either a notebook or on the computer. Once I have the story I have to think how to make a picture book.”  

Sarah walked us through the steps she takes, beginning with creating the ‘story board’ pages to editing the proofs and finally publication of her book. She then read one of her books entitled Bear Needs Help.

Before leaving, Sarah proposed that the children take a turn illustrating their own stories, asking them to draw a picture of their favorite animal… wearing glasses and a hat!

There was a bee and a doggy walking in the grass. The dog is sticking his tongue out. - KYLA
My favorite animal is a bird and a unicorn. - WILL
Bunny - LEA
It's not a story actually. It's a man and a wolf. The wolf was eating the man. He tasted like mac and cheese. - MIKA
There is a bear in the ocean swimming deep in the sea and he's landing like a dog but he doesn't see the dog. - SAM
I was gardening and a bee came down to the lawn and stung me. A polar bear was inside making me hot chocolate when the bee stung me. - TESSA
A monkey swinging from a tree. - ALEX
Mine's a cheetah. - THOMAS
My favorite animal is a unicorn. - URSULA
A big piggy. - ZACK
I love cats. - AMELIA
A monster tackling a tiger. - KAYA
It's a monster. It has lots of stinky splats. - CHARLIE
A pig. - EVA
Previous slide
Next slide