Are you going to talk about me?

After a busy morning of play, Charlotte and Marky helped make our space beautiful by cleaning paintbrushes together.

We all then gathered together on our rug. We began our conversation by asking the children to share back something they learned about another child. Charlotte's thumb immediately went up.

“Are you going to talk about me?”  Marky asked Charlotte.

“Marky likes to wash and make things shiny, like me!”  Charlotte shared.

The next day Charlotte told Avery, “Did you know I am in love with Marky?  And he knows cuz he heard me say it.”

Afternoon rest, snack, small groups and clean-up are natural opportunities for children to engage with an unexpected peer. These encounters may begin with feelings of excitement, uncertainty, or discomfort.  What we hope is that these moments become moments of connection and possibility—that they are opportunities to learn about another and to learn about ourselves.  We hope children learn to see each other through multiple lenses.  Ultimately, we hope to strengthen our community.

Charlotte has been openly reflecting on these experiences.  Through words and pictures her joy is evident.

“I’m best friends with Callen and Nico and Ruby. Now that I’ve been with him now two times, at rest.  Callen and Nico are my best friends.  My best friends are boys.  We can be best friends with everybody.”

Familiarity
cultivates . . .

curiosity

connection

understanding

empathy