Studio Purple, Week 3

… “It would be hard to make color if we didn’t have any colors.”

We are intentional about the books we choose to share with the children each week.  Sharing a book is more than just a time to sit together.  We value them as a tool to help propel us forward in our thinking about our larger world and ourselves.

Little Blue and Little Yellow by Leo Lionni is a classic discovery of colors and friendship.

Joining together for this story, recognition  of it  bubbles up…

“If you mix up blue and yellow, that means it turns to green.” Charlie M.

Little Blue and Little Yellow, two characters in this story, “hug” to become a different color.  Throughout the story, the children express concern over the new “character” that emerges.  “Green!”
The children wondered…

“How can they go home?” Tessa
“How can they go to their own families?” -Kyla

Where do colors come from?

“Paint!” -Charlie Menke
“You make them with colors…it would be hard to make color if we didn’t have any colors.” -Alex
“Me and my grandma made paint out of berries.  Blackberries because I didn’t want them.” -Kyla
“You could put a house into sunshine and it would melt it up and make color.” -Alex
“Colors come from a paint factory.” -Sam
“Or you can make it with rocks…I don’t know.  Maybe it’s from the water.” -Johann
“A machine with sprays and inside there were different colors and that’s where color comes from.” -Jack
“From a store!” -Tessa
“They can’t from a store because they need it to know how to make it.” -Alex

The story, Tiny, Perfect Things by M.H. Clark and Madeline Kloepper gave us pause before our Nature Walk,

What are tiny, perfect things?

“There are many little ways to enlarge your child’s world.  Love of books is the best of all.”

Jacqueline Kennedy