Week 8 – Squigz and Robots

This week added a new material called Squigz.  These colorful construction materials attach to each other and different surfaces using suction cups.  We also spent time constructing a robot, attaching pieces using screwdrivers, drills and glue.  Take a look at some of the things we created.

This is my lighthouse. This is where the light goes on and off. Let me turn it on. It lights up and goes up, up, up and lights up on top.  Thomas describes how the light travels from the bottom to the top.

It is a three headed figure! Now it is a four headed figure, then it will be a five headed figure!  Suki

Look! I made it loop around! I’m going to make it even longer.

I made two of the same. See same…same, oops not exactly the same! See?   Wesley points to the small green piece. 

I’m making a rocketship. It can walk, it can fly and wreck things!   Alex demonstrates how his rocketship can spin in circles, looking for something to wreck.

Mine isn’t to wreck Alex. I’m still making mine.  Wesley

Ok, I won’t wreck yours.  Alex

On another day, Alex creates a new invention.  He adheres the Squigzs to the floor. This sucks blood and it goes through here.  Charlie is captivated by Alex’s new creature.  After lunch, there had been a discussion among children about some positive and negative attributes of insects. There was some agreement that spiders could be good because they can capture mosquitoes.

Lauri lent us a pop-up book ‘Robots Watch Out, Water About. 
Why can’t they get wet we wonder…
Because they have electricity – Alex
That’s because robots have been builded with all electricity wires and so the electricity will get broken, then the robots stops.  The rain gets electricity out….sometimes with lightning – Thomas
This is a cool book – Ellie
That’s not the tools we use to work on our bodies Wesley notices on the page with the Robot Doctor