Taking Care of the Earth

April 22nd is Earth Day.  What does that mean?  What is Earth Day?  We asked the children what they knew.

When we all talk about protecting the earth so the earth doesn’t get hurt or damaged.You can’t throw trash in the river or on the ground. – Ruthie
Earth is what you take care of. – Julia
What is Earth?
It’s a planet that all the people stay on. – Amelia
How can we take care of the earth?
We can pick up trash!
We can pick up trash so that it doesn’t go into the river.

Wesley This brown is like red. Wesley uses the sponge to circle around his green earth, then he covers his green with blue.  There is dirt, the color of dirt.

Dab, dab, dab…it leaves a texture – Julia.  I like mine smooth – Ruthie 
The brown is the dirt, and yellow is the sand and the green is some grass and the blue on the top, that is the sky –
Amelia.  Later Amelia returns to add white – there’s a lot of snow on mine!

Ruthie   I’m making the shore around it, around the ocean.  Now the desert part now, that’s brown.  That’s my earth!

Kyla choose a different medium to draw her earth. She includes the sun, saturn, stars and sky.

Ruthie, still thinking about ways to take care of the earth, creates her own invention!

This trash gets sucked up into the beehive and turns into honey! It’s a different world!

Wesley likes Ruthie’s idea The bees can definitely go in mine too! The bees go in the tube and make honey too!

“The environment is where we all meet; where all have a mutual interest; it is the one thing all of us share.” —Lady Bird Johnson