Studio Yellow, Week 7

We're making a worm house. - Makenna

We have been amazed at the children’s ability to find worms wherever we’ve ventured within the sculpture park. We first discovered them at the decaying Big, With Rift by Steven Siegel, which inspired a worm hunt in many other places. With each discovery the children displayed an eagerness to touch, look closer and discuss the characteristics of the worm.

Amongst the children we are hearing much chatter and discussion about the worms.  They include not only what worms like but also about how they may feel.  On a particularly wet day children shared their ideas as to why there were so many worms visible.

Maybe because they’re friends and they want to say hello.

Maybe because it’s wet out. Worms like water.

Makenna even took the time to make a house for a worm next to Taking The Cure by Cat Mazza.

In an effort to foster this fascination we have set about creating our own worm habitat, within the studio.  We shared our intention with the children during morning meeting.

Does anyone know why we brought in dirt from the playground?

Ellie – We need extra dirt for the trucks.
Makenna – Because we’re making a worm house. That was my guess.
Chris – In a haunted house I found some dirt.
Josie – Maybe we’re going to bake something.
Ben – I think we have a lot of dirt – to make a mountain of dirt?
Elliot – A mountain of snow.

Makenna’s idea was right – we are going to make a worm house. What do you think we will need?

Ellie – Grass, dirt – they live in dirt and they also sleep in real food that people eat.
Ben – No, that’s not true.
Makenna – Yes, that’s really true.
Ellie – All the weeds in our garden go in the compost.
Suki – Water.
Ellie – To drink.
Nina – Water for the worms.

Here are the ingredients for a worm habitat:

Newspaper
Dirt
Water
Worms
Worm food

Ask your child how to mix these together to make an ideal home!

This week’s nature walk became a hunt for worms to add to our newly installed habitat.  A proliferation of worms was found by Big, With Rift.  Is there a correlation between worms being found at  this newspaper sculpture and the fact that newspaper was an ingredient to be in a worm habitat?  Are worms attracted to the moisture held within soggy newspaper?

Studio Yellow is enamored with worms.  Although not all want to touch them and pick them up we had many children hunt though the dirt.

Elliot – They’re so tickly.
Ellie – It’s a baby one.
Ben – I love baby worms.
Ellie -They’re so cute.

Josie – We found a baby one.
Orion (checking out the jar holding the worms) – I see ten!

Celebrating Josie!