Studio Yellow, Week 19

Continuing our work around Gary Schneiders’s Yezerski Family Portrait we created our own black and white display wall.  Can you recognize your child’s hand in this Yellow Studio portrait?  See if your child can tell you the different technique we used to make the white hand prints?

The dwindling snow outside inspired us to create our own winter landscape within Studio Yellow. 

It’s freezing in here, in this snowstorm! – Ellie

The sensory table was filled with magnetic rods and balls. Very quickly wooden tracks were added as children were pushing, pulling and rolling the balls within the table. 

Intrigued by the varying strengths of different rods, Teddy and Nina set about extending their work beyond the confines of the table. Soon the challenge became connecting magnets until they reached the floor.

The enthusiasm was contagious as the challenge was heightened, piquing the interest of many as they worked together to reach their final destination.

The construction of trains is a frequent occurrence within the studio.  This interest was heightened by Jamie’s recent travel by train to New York City where he was allowed to make an announcement as the train entered New Haven station.

Among the children there is agreement about what a train needs.
Jamie – We need cars: a passenger car, a caboose, an engine and a coal car.
William – I need gas.  The gas makes the coal extra strong.  We need a crane to put the coal in.
Wesley – The gas goes in the engine.  We also need seats.
They also agreed they needed drivers and conductors to collect the tickets.

However there is not always consensus about where the train is heading!

William – Africa.
Ben – To the desert.
Jamie – To New York City.
Elliot – Mine is going to the sharks.

To ‘feed’ the love of messy play we experimented with mixing play sand and shaving foam.  The aim was to make a type of kinetic stretchy sand.  Ask your child how the experiment turned out?

Visiting the familiar area surrounding Owl Tree we made a new discovery. 

Watch me climb up and slide down. – Elliot
It’s kind of like a little Sliding Rock.
Well, it’s Baby Brother Sliding Rock. – Ben
No it’s Pride Rock. – Jamie

Books read this week: