Sometimes it’s good to go slow.

In collaboration with deCordova’s Learning and Engagement department, we as an entire school are researching the Umbrella Topic

“LNS Wonders about art, nature and empathy”

We continually witness children’s expression of empathy whilst interacting with nature
That is why your sunflower is sick ’cause the worm is inside.  If I get worms out of the sunflower it will come back alive.
It is a slug. If you speak loud you’ll scare it.
He has blankets in there.  Look he’s moving.  I think he was just going for a nap.
Oh no stop! You’re stepping on the chipmunk!
She likes pink – maybe we should bring something pink over to her.
We need to put our caterpillar somewhere high where no one can step.
Shhhhhhh… Luna will be afraid.

Somewhat more challenging has been observing this empathetic display when interacting with art in its many forms. Observing children during these moments, amidst art and sculptures has taught us that these feelings of empathy may not evolve quite as naturally.

Perhaps, we wondered, if by fostering a stronger connection between children and the artist of these works, then in turn a more empathetic relationship with the artwork itself would organically follow.

In preparation for our visits to the current museum exhibit “Sheila Pepe: Hot Mess Formalism” we introduced materials similar in nature to those used by the fiber artist Sheila Pepe. Our hope is that while experiencing first hand the rewards and challenges that come hand in hand with using these fibers, children will gain an understanding of exactly what goes into creating such unique and personal works of art.

You could sew with string. My mom taught me how. Put it through the hole then you make an X. And that’s how you sew.

Look I’m sewing. We need to sew carefully and slow. Sometimes it’s good to go slow.

I’m really good at this. I just kept doing it over here and I learned.

After several days of working with these fibers, we took a small group into the museum to view Sheila’s work. 

In the coming months we are committed to listening intently, observing closely and reflecting regularly to see if our wonderings become reality. For now, we are inspired by a new vocabulary emerging from the children while messing about with this new sampling of materials. While manipulating string, rope, yarn, ribbon and more children are using yet unheard words like twist, wrap, connect, tangle, knot and sew.