Look! I see it!

The crabapple tree outside the window of Studio Yellow is a wondrous way to follow the path of nature and the changing seasons.  Although heavy with crabapples, the colder weather has prompted us to be more diligent about filling our bird feeders. As a result we have had a flurry of feathered visitors which hasn’t gone unnoticed by the children.  In response to their excitement we have introduced small clipboards, colored pencils, binoculars and a bird identification chart to the area overlooking the feeders.

How would the children respond to these new prompts?

Mika – Look!  I see it! (Chickadee)
Zack – There’s two.
Mika – Look at this one.  He’s next to the berries.  Hey!  Where did he go?  He must be hiding.

Hey! Look at this one. It's on the card, YAY! They came back, there's two.

Kaya – Those aren’t birds.
Those are ducks. Are ducks birds?
Alex – They can fly.

Kaya – No they cannot.
Alex – Yes they can fly.
Amelia – No they can’t.
Alex – They can fly.
Kaya – No they cannot.
Will – Ducks are birds. Wait – ducks are ducks.
So are they birds?
Kaya – No, right?

Will - "Wait - I think that's the right bird. It is the right kind of bird! Take a picture of it."
I'm going to draw a picture right now. Ursula
I want to color. Mika
This his black cap. These his hands, these his eyes, these his legs, these his arms, this his belly. See his tiny tail? Zack

Still photographs do not capture the unbridled exuberance and joy of the children around the simple act of watching the birds at our feeder.

“There is an unreasonable joy to be had from the observation of small birds going about their bright, oblivious business” 

Grant Hutchison