“Is today a nature walk day?”

Every week the woods and park around deCordova are witness to the exploration, laughter and observations of the children from Lincoln Nursery School. We see these areas as an extension of our studio space. These encounters with the natural world help create observations and inform the curriculum within our studio walls.

But why the importance placed on the benefits of this play within nature? The way that children play in nature is less structured than indoor play. There is more room to move and test their gross motor muscles. Running in the fresh air helps children destress and use up energy. Children develop confidence and explore at their own pace.  

Weekly we are witness to the children’s imaginations and inquisitiveness at play. 

“Does an owl really live up Owl Tree?” “Why do we never see it?”
Working together to fix a stick house
Using tools to hammer and saw

They enlist the use of all their senses.

We see empathy develop around living things, whether it be trees, mushrooms, insects or spiders.
“If I look in this hole, could it be someone’s home?”

We study the flow of water. 
 “Where does the water go when it goes through the pipe?”
“The water’s not moving ’cause it’s frozen.”

“Can we catch real fish?  Or just leaf fish?”
We learn about cause and effect.
We watch as children discover. If I make one more stride forward I will have a boot full of water as I have stepped into the stream!
We test our strength.  Nature’s playground offers us the opportunities to move our bodies in many different ways, or to simply pause or connect with a friend.

Discoveries along our trails make their way back to our studio.  Items are observed and added to our loom.  Pieces become works of art, inspiration for further exploration and even musical instruments.

And best of all IT IS FUN!