The Ice Cream Cone [aka 0121-1110=113035 (Lotus)]

In contrast to our open ended visit to Aaron Curry’s sculptures last week, today Sarah invited us to another sculpture with a specific intention in mind. Gathering around 0121-1110=113035 (Lotus) by JaeHyo Lee, Sarah asked the children, “What does the sculpture look like and how do you think it was made?” She then shared with us the book “The Conductor” by Laetitia Devernay. This ‘no-word’ story depicted the life cycle of a tree along with the help of a conductor. 

“Hey, he’s waving his conductor stick.” Elliott
What’s a conductor? 
“A guy that conducts things like instruments.” Elliott

Sarah then explained her idea of how the sculpture was made. She imagined “a conductor moved all the branches around and formed the sculpture.” Providing the children with a myriad of wooden materials, she challenged them to create individual sculptures from their own imaginations.

Inspired by the materials the children immediately began to gather supplies with which to build.  Many worked independently while others paired up and constructed collaboratively.  Many children chose to narrate as they built.

“These are robots.”
“It’s a monster with these horns and legs.”
“I’m making a bed and that’s stairs.  That’s cool stairs.”
“It makes it spin and it comes out like stairs and then it kind of rocks and then the stairs take you way up into a big tree.”
“You can go up and up into the construction site. That (a rectangle piece) is so it is not dirty.  Now I am making a house.”
“I was thinking about around here, around here and back around.”
“It’s a trail.”
“I’m trying to hammer it in.”