“So we will be using a camera.” CHARLIE

In Studio Red we do a lot of talking about tools. Together we develop ideas about both the physical and thinking tools we use to figure things out. Last week Ray requested to share his camera and it became the catalyst for the introduction of our classroom cameras. We have spent these first few weeks in small groups working in partners to figure out how this tool works.

YOU TAKE PICTURES.  Chester

HOW DOES IT WORK?  IT DOESN’T LOOK LIKE OURS.  Beatrice

I TWISTED THIS TO MAKE THE COLORS CHANGE.  Ray

IT’S LIKE A LITTLE TV SCREEN.  Sevi

THEY ARE VERY DELICATE.  Beatrice

IF YOU TOUCH THE LENS ALL THE PICTURES ARE GOING TO GET BLURRY.  Arya

THE FINGERPRINTS ON IT MAKE IT BLURRY.  Lyla

I think we have to move because the sun is in our way. BEATRICE

It has to be a little shady and a little sunny.  You don’t want it to be too shady or too sunny.  BROOKE

Take a breath and then take the picture. CHARLIE

If you go closer you see lessie. If you go further, morey.  BROOKE

Look, Emily.  I figured something out.  CHESTER

No, I figured it out. RAY

Yeah, he figured it out and taught me!  It goes farther like this and when I point to this it goes inner.  CHESTER

"It is through play that we learn!" Using this language with the children, we make explicit the work that they are doing. We help them understand how joyful exploration and reflection leads to the questions and discoveries that drive learning forward.