Studio Red: week 19

Dear Studio Red,

This week we are focusing in on the amazing work you are doing recording your stories.  What will you share with your families about being an author?

Love, Lauri and Emily

OUR WEEK IN STORY WORKSHOP

The world is filled with stories. As we play, we are constantly telling them. Story Workshop is a time to think about our ideas and make them visible to others. It is a time to think about ourselves as writers, and the choices we make in the stories we tell.

We chose four different materials for the children to explore. Then in groups of four, they rotated through these materials. Sometimes, children carried their stories between materials. At other times, stories began anew. Each time they played they were creating and editing a draft.

“Now I changed the story a bit.  He digs in now.  He’s hidden.  He flies up.”  IAN

“I’m part of my story.  This is my pet snake.  It’s scared of you so it hides its’ head under the dirt.”  CHARLIE N.

“It’s a climbing structure tower and they want to go on the roof.  They climb.  They fall.  But they have parachutes, that’s the fun part.”  KAYA

“I want the butterfly in my story.  I’m making more butterflies.  They will be flying around.”  CASE

“This is a submarine.  This is what it makes.  It cracks because the octopus pulls it.  I’m gonna make it the same as the book and then different.”  KATIE

“This is an ice cream shooter.  It shoots one thousand ice cream at once.”  MILES

Finally, after playing in all four places we invited them to return to one of these materials and record their ideas through drawing. The final work will be a published book. Below is a sampling of their work thus far.

As you played, what story did you discover in your material?

What details did you add when you drew your story?

"I want to make the other part. Cuz readers do that, they have one picture across the page." TRAVERS

"Or, it could be a no words story and you (the reader) could make it up." TRAVERS