Our Stories

Our afternoon writing efforts have inspired collaborative group work during our morning open studio play. While creating a cake of snow outside, a small group of preschoolers and kindergarteners began naming their roles as they negotiated the various steps of the process. When the cake was complete, Lyla exclaimed, "We could make a how-to book!" She envisioned the group working together to author the piece. And so, one morning we invited a small group to engage in this project. Some children who joined the group had not been a part of the creation process, but were eager to join the process of reflection.

Snow Cake How-To

A snippet of the conversation.

We are going to need gray. I see gray here…Alright, let’s start. I’ll do step one.  LYLA

Can you do the dots for me to do my two?  VIVIAN

Okay Brooke, you’re step four.  LYLA

Step one: get a pail.  No, no, get a bucket.  LYLA

Should this be step three?  BEATRICE

Get snow.  VIVIAN

Just do get snow.  Get water.  LYLA

Did you do get water?  BROOKE

Yours is put all the things in the pan.  LYLA

Is that mine?  BROOKE

Yeah, she’s getting snow.  LYLA

How do I show water?  BEATRICE

Use blue? LYLA

It’s /e/ not /a/. It’s get, not gat.  VIVIAN

Oh yeah.  I’ll cross it off.   Silly me, I wrote the letters too close! LYLA

No, we didn’t use blue water, it was brown! LYLA

Oh yeah, but then people might think it’s mud.  BEATRICE

What did you put in again?  BROOKE

Water, then… LYLA

How many steps have we done?  We’ve done six steps.  VIVIAN

Bea, what are you doing?  LYLA

What am I doing?  BROOKE

Cuz Brooke forgets what she is doing so we need to know what Brooke is doing.  LYLA

Pan and bucket, I think they stack it up…They should stack it.  VIVIAN

I have to use silver for snow cuz there’s no white.  BEATRICE

Is there a step ten?  VIVIAN

No, it only goes up to nine.  LYLA

What learning do you see?

We see children thinking as writers! Collaboration makes visible the talk that goes on within a writer's mind during the process. This conversation highlights all the questions writers pose. What is the order of my story? What are the different parts? How can I make my ideas clear with words and with pictures? What do I do when I make a mistake? How do I use the materials I have to best communicate my thinking? How do I know when I'm done?

We invite you into our library to read the stories and how-to books found within the book box labeled, OUR STORIES!