“I’m trying to make this spin.”

Studio Red continues to experiment with spinners! We have extended our exploration by introducing a collection of other objects to try! The children have been busy figuring our which spin and which do not, which spin well, and which lose momentum more quickly. They have been adding to our tray of tops to try, bringing objects from home that also spin. Together, we continue to ask questions.

What makes a spinner spin well?

Which work the best?

How could we measure their success?

This investigation has led us to think about speed and duration. While speed can prove difficult to measure, duration is captured by a new tool: the stopwatch.

After the children spent time constructing spinners from sticks and balls and testing spinners of various designs, we invited them to begin to create their own using a familiar material. With cardboard and tape, and the assistance of sticks and corks, some children have now created their own top designs.

I’m trying to make this spin.  I’m making some things, but it…when I spin it, it doesn’t really do good.  It just spins and falls off.  It is loose.  I know a way!  I can do it (tape) on both sides so it will attach to that and that.

I wonder what would happen if I put three (triangles), four maybe.

Can I make another one?  I want the stick in the middle.  I’ll try doing a longer one.

Sevi

It can spin. 

It needs a stand.

It keeps it up more. 

Arya