“Nothing made out of wood in this place.”

Continuing to explore the children’s earlier thinking around “trapping” or “keeping the bad in” we brought two more small groups to visit pieces in the museum that bring about the idea of enclosing or keeping in.  Initially focussing on Maximum Security by Liza Lou, we added visiting it’s neighboring piece, Cube 48 Orange by Marta Chilindron.  While being open to how the children would respond to these two pieces, we wondered if their thoughts would bring them to the idea of enclosures or keeping.

What do you see?

“Zig zags and big squares in a line.” -Henry

“I see those (points to cubes).” -Ada

“I can see it through (viewing other sculpture).” -Henry

“There are lines going down.  I notice something!  Dots!”                                                                                     -Ada

"I see different walls. Different colors." -Nico
"They're making triangles up and down. Orange rectangles." -Eleanor
"I can see them (people) even on the orange." -Eleanor "I can see the other sculpture." -Nico
Previous slide
Next slide

“It’s a X.” -Ada
“In the middle it’s an elevator.” -Henry
“No, I know what it is!  It’s a twisty door thing.” -Ada

“Shaped like an X.  It’s a lot sparkly. I think that’s made out of a gate.  I don’t even know what gate it is.  Kinda like a gate I’ve seen before,  I guess, if we were to guess just like a check.  Check marks the spot.” -Eleanor

How many people to make it?

“One person.” -Eleanor
“Ten people.” -Nico
“I think 100.  One hundred and a thousand.” -Eleanor
“A million.” -Nico

“It might be a trap!  Maybe they open it up, then close it and then lock it.” -Ada
“But how would they open it?” -Henry
“Unlock the screw.” -Ada
“But then how would they screw it back on?”                                                              -Henry
“They’d just screw it back on.” -Ada
“So bad guys could escape?” -Henry