“How can we know what to draw if we don’t know?”

Once again, the children in Studio Purple have become enraptured by a new book.  This time the tale is a much beloved imaginative story by Roald Dahl.  The Minpins interestingly enough is Road Dahl’s lesser known stories and sadly was his last.  Minpins or recently re-released as Little Billy and the Minpins tells the story of how Little Billy disobeys his mother and goes into the “Forest of Sin” where he is nearly devoured by a fire-breathing monster.  In the nick of time, Little Billy scales up a tree only to discover shortly after that a whole community of tiny people reside in this and many other trees.  

In classic Dahl style, the story blends both the frightening and fanciful with a hefty dose of humor and wit.  Unreal creatures such as Whangdoodles, Hornswogglers, and Spittlers are tempered with a whimsical and utterly British introduction to our miniature figures known as Minpins

“You’re in a bit of a twizzler aren’t you? the voice was saying.

This beautifully crafted story, skillfully brought to life through illustrations by Patrick Benson has us hooked and cries of “Go on!  Read more!” has been pleaded as we bookmark and await each new reading of this unfolding tale.

Drawing offers us wonderful possibilities to imagine aloud how we’ve come to understand and wonder about this curious new book.

"I want to draw the creature. I'm gonna put spikes on his head. I want to know what he looks like. I made a wild strawberry." -Sylvie
"I'm thinking about Minpins but I can't do the farmer. I know that they're tiny, little and cute!" -Madeline P.R.
"And smoke comes out of the nose like this. I'm wondering about the tree. I did not see. I'm even going to do the roots." -Milo
"...They have big hands and big fingers. That's how mine look! Hands are small, see? Actually, that's big. Little Billy is the boy's name and the animal is the Spittler." -Madeline R.
"I drawed the monster. I want to know what it looks like." -Margot
"I'm making Minpin houses." -Margot
"This is the tall tree from it." -Nico
"Look at this monster. He has so many teeth!" -Quinn
"I'm making a giant tree! There was a giant strawberry, I know." -Quinn
"I'm wondering about the Minpins getting covered by smoke." -Ada
"I'm wondering about the Spittler." -Eleanor
"Minpins." -Henry
"This is all the houses and the tall thing is the tree." -Callen
"This is the tree and the Minpins on the ground. I call it the safe tree because it's safe. They can climb it." -Britton
"I think Minpins are tiny people. These are the Minpins." -Maddy
"I'm wondering what the creature looks like and this is the smoke. Look at the smoke! I'm making tiny trees for the Minpins." -Liam
(I'm wondering about...) "The monster's family. Does he have a family?" -Hannah
"The Minpins." -Hannah
"I'm wondering how hot the smoke is. I drew the Minpins covered in smoke. The Minpins are the boss of the forest." -Spencer
Previous slide
Next slide

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”

Roald Dahl, The Minpins