Empathy (a beginning…)

Often a common intention for many families in sending their young preschoolers to nursery school is to be and play with other children.  This being with brings with it joyful fun and laughter, as well as some sad and difficult moments of trying to know how to be with another.  Each year, the LNS staff along with our museum partners at Learning and Engagement embark on an Umbrella Topic.  These topics are something we deeply explore and ponder as we play alongside the classroom community each day.  This year we are tackling our wonderings around Empathy.  Because of our very rich environment, we are also able to explore this topic in the context of exposing children to art and nature.

While this word, empathy, is one that you might see heavily nowadays,  how do we best define it? Further more, how do we notice it in the context of very young children who are newly emerging in the social world?

Ask any adult and they will define empathy in a number of different ways.  For each of us, there can be different meanings.  How do we stand back and witness how children begin to define empathy for themselves?  As we watch children make connections and build relationships, we wonder how their curiosity about each other sets them on the path to gain understanding, a vital element of empathy.

1. Tait and Charlie N. enjoy a moment together in the studio.
2. Here they are connecting on another day, hopping from space to space together.
3. More recently, Tait offers a hand and a silly face to comfort Charlie N. when she's feeling sad.

“I never seen you in Studio Blue.”  CAROLINE

“Well, my house is white.”  LOUIS

“Where is your house?  I don’t see it.” CAROLINE

“It’s in Lincoln.”  LOUIS

“Mine is too!”  CAROLINE

1. Rosalie and Charlie N. share a happy moment together as Charlie N. helps Rosalie write her name.
2. Later that day, Charlie N. builds a block and pipe shower on her own.
3. Charlie welcomes Rosalie's changes into her play.
4. The girls enjoy another happy moment together.

“Tait’s a little sad.”  TRAVERS

Do the positive interactions we have with another help us grow a better understanding of them?

Over time, does this understanding allow us to be more flexible when conflict arises in our play?

Is this understanding and increased flexibility how empathy looks in preschoolers?