There’s My Birdie!

As the bird play in Studio Blue had dwindled recently, we wondered if opening up the area where our birds are kept might encourage the children to engage in a different way. We removed the large table and offered new materials.

Johann waves goodbye to mom in this refreshed space.

Johann returns to this space later in the morning to explore with his bird. Intrigued by the many holes in the table, Johann pushes his bird through each of the holes with little effort. When he comes to the smallest hole in the table, however, it seems like his bird is too big and will not fit through. Johann is determined and he tries to figure it out...

Johann: Get it from the top and screw it on...and then...
Look!
I'm getting it through!

Jamie joins us at the table. Diane tells Jamie that Johann figured out how to get his bird through the tiny hole. Intrigued, Jamie wants to try it too.
Jamie: I can! I gonna.
Jamie reaches for the nearest bird and gives it a try. Johann stays right with Jamie, offering tips and encouragement to him as he works on getting the bird through the tiny hole.

Johann: Head first.
Now pull from the bottom.
Pull!
They did it!

Ellie, Stella and Wesley come over to see what is happening.

I’m gonna get my bird. I’ll put it in this tiny hole.
Stella: I want to stuff my bird in there.
Stella: Do you want to play race? Mine is racing. Mine won!
Ellie: Mine’s racing too! Mine’s even running. Don’t even catch me! Doo doo doo doo doo!

Jamie: Hey, we’ve got all of the birds…where’s my bird?

Jamie goes off to the block area to find his bird. 

Mark: You found out that your birds fit in those bowls.

My bird is sleeping in its nest. This is in his nest.
Stella works for several minutes, trying to fit her bird inside a small blue bowl.
Mine's sleeping.
(Ellie kisses her bird.)
Look! My bird is sleeping in there!

Stella takes her bird over to the easel with mirrors. She holds her bird up to the mirror with one hand and draws around it with the other hand. 

There's my birdie!
I was writing about a birdie...my birdie.
I'm sitting on my birdie. (She sings) I like for it on my birdie!
Jack builds a house for his bird.
Ellie: A fort for my bird.

One morning,  Chris draws on his clipboard. He comes over and tells Diane,

Look what I wrote down for my bird. I wrote my birds mom will come back.

Chris then walks over to show Mark. 

Mark, I wrote my birds mama come back. I wrote this down for my bird.

How lovely that Chris is able to express this on his clipboard and then shares this with both of his teachers. In “writing down his birds words”, he is demonstrating trust in this practice; a practice that became so important for Chris in the beginning weeks of school when he was missing his mom and dad. 

From September 2018

In this most recent moment, Chris is able to offer comfort to his bird and the additional reassurance that the bird's mama will come back, just as he learned his will, too. In just a few short months, Chris has developed an understanding that others (in this case, his bird) may feel the powerful emotions he sometimes feels and he may be able to help. A true expression of empathy.