Small Groups to Humming

We’ve been playing a face game at meeting. Diane holds up a picture of a child’s face and when we name the child, that child washes hands for snack. But sometimes she holds up an unexpected face, such as the sculpture Humming:

• Saige It’s something outside! It’s a statue.

• Kaya That’s something from the ___

• Caroline(?) It has long hair. It’s you, Mark.

• ? It’s a sculpture.

Later, outside on the playground Caroline and Kyla are excited to spot Humming, and call Mark over. Will, Travers and Kaya come to the fence to see, too. They remember the picture we saw when we played the face game before snack.

On Wednesday, Kaya remembers: We saw it at the playground, when we play the face game and Humming comes up again.

On Thursday, Mark takes three groups of two children at the end of the day to Humming:

Will/Saige:

• ? This is a big statue.

• Saige Big ears.

• Will It has these holes (on the base). And a pinecone. And his nose.

• ? And his hat.

• Will What’s that? (ponytail) What is that? Maybe his back…

• Saige Maybe it’s his back.

• Will Look, it’s his mouth. (pointing to the line beneath the mouth; then he points to the line above the mouth) What’s this part?

• Mark Where do you think its mouth is, Saige?

• Saige points to the lips.

Amelia/Caroline

• Amelia I see the sculpture (pointing)

• Caroline I see it… I see his nose. I can touch his nose. Can I touch his nose?

• Mark I don’t know. How far away is it?

• Caroline reaches Too high. Maybe I go here and I can touch it.

• Mark If you went on there you could, but you’re not allowed to go on there.
    Caroline Only his nose, I mean only his mustache.

Kyla/Sam

• Kyla Is he going to talk?

• Mark Kyla, we’re not allowed to climb on the sculpture.

• Kyla Is the sculpture going to talk?

• Sam (points to Two Big Black Hearts) We saw those sculptures with shoes on them.

• Kyla (pointing to ponytail) What’s that? What’s that? What’s that? What’s that?

• Katrin (has joined us) I think it might be… what this is? (touching Kyla’s ponytail) What’s this?

• Kyla A ponytail.

• Sam So there’s two hearts. There’s another sculpture – there’s one, two (pointing) (points to chin of Humming) Look at his lips! (he may be referring to the gap line underneath. Many children appear interested in these gaps. Sam points up) That’s his head.

We only stayed as long as the children wanted, and each visit was short, from just over a minute to 3 ½ minutes.The faculty is interested in how children-in-residence encounter deCordova, which we have chosen as our umbrella topic this year. To read more about it, click here to see Nancy’s post.