Newsletter, Oct. 7-10

Dear Studio Blue,
We're working on taking care of our bodies. One way we take care of our body is by eating when we're hungry. At snack time we choose what food we'll eat. We also make and serve pretend food – what kind of pretend food do you serve?
We're learning how to make space for our own body when we play and at meeting, and how to make room for a friend.
Doctors and nurse practitioners take care of people's bodies, too. They have tools for this. What tools do they use?
How are we taking care of our birds?

How is snacktime like a restaurant?

We’ve started making snacktime more like a restaurant.
Now at meeting, we show you a menu. Here are some of our menus:

Mark took your orders. Here is what everyone ordered on Tuesday.
Blue for blueberries, brown for crackers, green for crunchy green beans.

Then you brought your order to the parent helper to fill out.

The parent helper served you your food after you had washed your hands.

On Thursday, we all enjoyed celebrating Camden's birthday!

How do we take care of each other?

An ambulance, a hospital, some doctors and nurse practitioners have all been part of your play recently. We have noticed “hurt” and “sick” children who are quickly picked up and taken care of.

You make toolkits when you work in the hospital. The toolkits include felt square pieces, a flashlight and a wooden block that you use as your telephone.

You often make phone calls when you are playing. 

Birds with boo-boos.

One day this week, Augie, you showed us your bird. You used the flashlight that you were holding in your other hand to shine light on your bird. You told us that your bird has a boo-boo.

Augie: A boo-boo. Right there.

The next day, we set up the table near the birds with tools you may need to care for your birds. There were soft squares of felt, flashlights and magnifying glasses. Many of you brought your birds and clipboards down to this table to use in your exploration of these new materials. 

Augie: Boo-boo.
Dax: Boo-boo. Right on there. Let me draw. Right there.

Dax: Huuuuuh. Boo-boo right there.

Alice: My birdie. My eyes have a boo-boo. My birdie have it. In it eye.

Alice: All done…Feel better!

William: I was looking into his eye.

William: My bird have something in his eye. Something like plastic.

Dax has come over and given each child a wooden block. Jemima sets up her block and her bird on the table.

Camden: My birdie’s sick.

Jemima experiments with the magnifier and the flashlight. She holds the flashlight far away and then up close, playing with the light against the wooden surface.

Will: Where’s your clipboard, Cassie?

Cassie: This is my x-ray. Will can help me if he wants to.

Will: But I have…my birdie’s sick. I have to take…I’ve got my hands full.

Will: On the forehead.

Will: All better.

Cassie: All better now!

Bonus . . .

How do your mom, dad, and other people in your family take care of you?
Fondly,
Diane and Mark