Newsletter, Jan. 13-16

Dear Studio Blue,
We noticed so much happening this week!

Taking Care...

Augie, you starting building with the Legos. You said I'm making a bird nest. You tried putting your bird on top, but it didn't stay, so you put it on the ground and said The bird is sleeping. Then you moved it closer to the heater so hot air on him. Then you got a block to call the doctor. You told the doctor, The birdie got a boo boo. You brought your bird over to the pipes and held it up to a hole, then you got a flashlight and took care of your sick birdie. Then it was all better!

Joe, when you saw Arlo's BandAid, you were interested in how he was taking care of his body.

Vivian and Cassie, you two were playing when Cassie said You can be the baby and I can be the mama. Then Llewyn looked like he might want to play and Cassie said he could be the sister. Kairan, Ferdinand and William, you all came by to deliver ice cream. Cassie, you were taking good care of your baby – you said Vivian shouldn’t have ice cream because she doesn’t have teeth, but you had some of the ice cream. You thought baby Vivian might have to go to the dentist if the baby has ice cream. Then Vivian, Cassie and Llewyn, you got in the car, and pretty soon Jemima, Ferdinand, Kairan and Llewyn all squish into the car, too. Jemima, you decided that you would be a guinea pig. Kairan, you were a big brother. Who were you, Ferdinand? Suddenly we find out that Vivian has a medical problem. Cassie, you said I think she needs to go to the doctor cause she lost a leg and I have to get her to a hospital now. William, you joined them to try to get the baby out of the car. Kairan, you suggested, I think we have to carry her. But Vivian just wouldn’t get out! Finally, Ferdinand, you got a big pail of medicine and dumped some in the car for Vivian, and it looked like she might eat it. Then the bell rang, and the play stopped.

Jemima, you took care of some babies, building a place for them to sleep. After you built it once, you changed it, and then you took off the top so we could see the sleeping babies.

Joe and Llewyn

Joe, you wanted to play with Llewyn. You said Llewyn, and brought a bucket to him. You said Green bucket. You got another bucket from the table – you said Blue bucket. You gave it to Llewyn, too. Mark noticed that you made sure that Llewyn had every color of bucket in the cart: blue, yellow, red and green! Then you brought over a brush and started brushing Llewyn! That was silly, and Mark asked what else you could brush, so you brushed the cart. Alice thought that was a good idea, so she started brushing the cart, too. Then Llewyn brushed the cart. When you went to get a wheelbarrow, Llewyn got a wheelbarrow, too. Then you and Llewyn saw Studio Purple heading out for a walk, and you both went to the gate to watch.

Sculpture Park

We went out for a walk in the Park on Wednesday. Some of you had a great time playing on the climbing rock. Some of you ran in and out of the holes and then rolled down the big hill. Dax, you noticed when you were inside one of the holes that it was like a cave. When you stepped out and turned to look at this sculpture from a distance, you said many caves. Arlo, you heard what Dax said and said, Yea, I agree. Will, you were running and running all around the park. We also had a visit from one hawk...and then two hawks!

One Hawk...

Hawk! The hawk flies above us and we excitedly say hello to it. Then it flies off somewhere else…

Where’d it go now?

Joe: Hawk, where are you?

Dax: Maybe it went to get some food. Maybe…do hawks eat worms? 

We wonder where the hawk could have gone but soon get back to the fun on the ground – rolling down the big hill.

Suddenly Alice yells, Look! 

This time, there are two hawks flying above us! 

Arlo: Wait wait, they’re in their nest, don’t wake up them.

Kairan: I think he brought a friend.

The hawks call out and we listen to their sounds.

Dax imitates their sounds and then says, That hawk.

Arlo: Listen.

Kairan: I think it went over there. I think it’s looking for its friend. I think he misses his friend. I think that’s a dad and that’s a mom.

Vivian: Look at he’s beak. Right there.

Dax: I don’t see the hawk. Maybe it’s looking away for its baby bird.

Dax: Awwwwww. 

What made Arlo hug Dax right in this moment? Was it what Dax has just said that brought out this sign of affection from Arlo?  Or was it simply a spontaneous moment between two children without any explanation at all? 

The hawks fly all around. We can sometimes see only one, sometimes both hawks.

Which one is that?

Is that the dad or the mom?

William: I think it’s the dad. 

Kairan: It’s the dad because it went that way.

Oh, dad’s go that way?

Kairan: I can barely see it. And I can see the beak.

Will: I can’t. 

Cassie: Me also can see the beak.

William: I can’t see it.

Camden: Look! Guys! Look! Look! 

Something else is in the sky.

An airplane! 

Cassie: I love airplanes!

Dax: I love airplanes too!

Kairan: I think I know where the dad went. To his house. 

Where’s the dads house?

Cassie: The nest.

And where is that?

Kairan: Maybe north?

Which way is north?

Cassie: This way is north.

Kairan: Maybe it’s hiding?

Dax: Maybe it’s hiding?

Cassie reiterates, This way is north. This time, pointing with two fingers. 

We wonder when we will see these hawks again . . .

Fondly,
Mark and Diane