Clay, part 2

Luca was interested in how to “open up” the clay, and he tried various techniques (including bringing over an eggbeater as a tool at one point!)

• Luca These are dinosaur eggs. I’m zigging them. (Zigging them?) Yeah. Excavating them, like at home. (Luca uses golf tees to break apart the clay, then uses a hammer to hit the clay.) Now I’m trying to open it like this.

• Later, Asha joins Luca, asking him if he would like help getting the clay open, and Luca says yes. Asha looks at Mark, pleased: He said yes!

• Luca It’s hard

• Asha Do you need help?

• Luca I need help.

• Asha He say he needs help. Do you want it like this?

• Luca Like this. I need a hammer. I’m trying to discover something like Saige.

Saige wonders, How do you get it (a tee) out? I need some help. She tries several techniques, using the hammer to try to pull the clay apart, then using her finger, then pounding with the hammer. Finally, she has success: There! I pulled it out.

Cal says, Hey, look at this! as he pushes his hammer handle into the clay. His friends hear and try this.

Caroline, trying to get tees out, suggests, Maybe if we break it… 

It’s clear that the clay needs to be broken apart, for various reasons. On Thursday, we introduce tools that we think might help.
Notice how working with tools naturally leads to storytelling and problem-solving.