Studio Yellow, Week 12

A big Studio Yellow welcome to Linden and his family – parents Daniel and Erica and big brother Filian.  While painting his snack card on Monday Linden commented “I’m painting it yellow because I am now in Studio Yellow.”  We are happy Linden already seems connected to our studio.

Why is there a band? - Suki

Suki’s comment was not the only one to be made as the children arrived in school on Tuesday and discovered a partially set up drum kit in our meeting area.

ELLIE – My dad plays the drums, I play the flute.  Mommy plays the xylophone and the bells and my brother plays the harmonica.
WILLIAM – What is that?  Those instruments.
ELLIOT – Is it a party today?
WESLEY – I see a band.

The mystery was solved as Dan, Lily’s dad, explained he had come to share his drum kit with the children.  “What can you see?”

SUKI  – Drums.
JAMIE – Cymbals.
BEN – A microphone.
ELLIE – I see pedals.
SUKI – A seat.
WILLIAM – I can see a drum.
CHRIS – I also see a drum.
ELLIE – Do we all get an instrument?

Dan went on to show us all the various components of his drum set, demonstrating the sound of each as he went on.

“One more piece needed here is very important as you play it all the time.  This is called a snare drum.”

BEN – I have a toy drum at my house.

“This is called a tom. It might be a sound you hear…” “In reggae!” SUKI

“Now can we take turns doing the whole drum set?” ELLIE

“It’s almost complete. This is called a crash cymbal. You need it to make a loud noise. Are you excited to play?”

A question that was met with a nearly unanimous YES!

ELLIE ” It was so fun!”

WILLIAM “YAY!!! That was a great meeting!”

Our map wall is evolving...

Now that we know where we all come from to form Studio Yellow we want to share with the community who we all are. We’ve begun working on self-portraits and of course, as Wesley reminded us – “Who our names are.” Working in small groups, we’re looking closely, noticing the similarities as well as differences that makes each of us exactly who we are. Once complete, these pieces will be added to our ‘home’ boxes.