Studio Red: daily do & draw 3/25

Dear Studio Red,

Today’s do and draw will continue our flag research!  When we want to learn about a subject, we can look for more ways to explore it.  We begin to make new connections.  Learning about flags, we start to notice them in new places.  As we figure out more, we can show what we know in many different ways.  One way is to make them!  As you continue to notice flags and show your ideas, be sure to send us photographs so we can share your thinking and questions with others!

Love, Lauri and Emily

Last week, Luca also found some flags in Florida! See the flag photographs he captured here ➔
Thank you for sharing these, Luca!

“I couldn’t wait to share the flags I found! I posted them here!”  Lauri

daily do & draw

DO

How will you create a flag?

We all have different tools and materials in our homes.  Today we invite you to think through what you have that might help you create a family flag.  Your flag may be teeny tiny or it may turn out big.  That is one thing we learned about flags, they can be different sizes!

Did you know there are names for all the parts of a flag?  

We added shape to our flag web in Studio Red.  There are so many shapes a flag can be!  What more shapes might you imagine?

You can construct your flag with as many parts as you would like.  One simple way you may begin is to find materials for the flagpole and for the flag itself.  

DRAW

What symbols will you imagine?

We invite you to design a flag for your family!  Do you remember when Travers brought in his family’s sailing flag to share?  Cailin said, “We thought we’d bring it in to show that you can make your own flag.”  You can mess about and design a flag however you’d like.  Use marker, pencil, or paint to design your flag.

Invite your family to join in if they would like!  What ideas do they have to include?  What symbols might show what is important to your family?