Studio Red: daily do & draw 3/20

Dear Studio Red,

Today is Friday!  We are remembering all the fun nature walks we have taken on Fridays.  We are thinking about our hunt for Y-sticks, how we climbed and slid down the big rock, and how we created so many stories on the fallen tree trunks.  Today our daily do and draw will bring us outside!

Love, Lauri and Emily

daily do & draw

DO

What will you discover outside today?

Each time we go outside we seem to discover something new!  It may even be something that has been there for awhile, that we just haven’t noticed before.  Other times it is something that has changed, like the first signs of spring.  Learning to observe and notice details is just what scientists do.  This is just what artists, architects, and writers do too!  These discoveries lead to new ideas and new questions that inspire us to play more, create more, and learn more.

This week Ruth shared a video from a walk she took with her family.  She shared:

“Me and my family were taking a walk in the woods and we found coyote poop on a rock!  Also, I’m sitting in a tree.”

Today we invite you to venture outside and keep your eyes open for new observations.  Will you discover traces of an animal that has been nearby, like Ruthie? Will you find a new place to rest?

DRAW

How will you show your discovery?

You will need: your sketchbook and at least one drawing tool to make lines (pen, pencil, marker, etc)!  You can add extra drawing tools to show color.  Colored pencils work well because they let you blend the colors in a way that markers cannot.

Today we invite you to save a memory of your discovery.  If your discover is something you can bring back with you and bring inside, you can do an observational drawing at home.  If it is something you cannot bring home, you can take your sketchbook with you and draw outside!  If you cannot do either of those things, you will have to use your imagination to envision your discovery and draw the details you remember!

If this is the second drawing in your sketchbook, you can begin by looking at your first page.  On this first page, find a place to write the number one.  Corners work well.  Now, turn to page two and begin to draw.  When you are finished, number this page.  Can you guess what number you will write?

“It is funny that I said I did not have any ideas! 

Looking closely helped me gather so many ideas!”

“Once I have my tools gathered, the next decision I have to make is how I want to begin my drawing.  Maybe I will do what Charlie Nicholson did when she drew the monarch butterfly.  She began with the outline.  I will trace the edge of the object with my eyes and let my pen follow.  Then I will look for the details I see inside.  My last step will be to add color.  Sometimes when I add color, I notice more details and decide to add more lines with my black pen.”  Emily