snippets.

Studio Red is a laboratory, a place of inquiry where creativity, imagination and  making meaning thrive!

Refining our understanding of the Zoomie.

“There’s little holes!”

“I’m very curious about the feathers.”  (the end of the cloth)

“Those are like hairs.”

“Mine was knitted. Cuz of the screen, look.  It was braided together.”

“It’s a camera, when you look into stuff you can see it really well.”

Expanding our installation.

“Put one on one side and one on the other side.  Stretch it to the other side, not the middle.  Then bottom over top!”

“Does it feel like we’re in a basement with a lot of kids?”

“Yah, all the cobwebs.” (looking up at the installation)

“How do we use them?”

“They squish together.”

“They follow each other.”

“We’re going to open it up, put it back together. Put string in. Like Eleanor said,  smooshy together!”

“If you did one side, you can do another.”

Building ideas about levels, rooms, and pathways.

“So that’s for bullets?”

“This room?  No, I made it for persons.” 

“This is for one car.  It opens like this.  I have two in here.”

Connecting through games, developing strategies.

“She only has two more and she have one more chance to win.”

“Then we’ll have to start over!”  

“Do you want to go first?” 

“Yeah.  Does your person have glasses?” 

“No…Okay so flip over the ones that do have glasses.”  

“What? Oh.  Your turn!”  

Continuing to reimagine scraps and cardboard.

“It’s a smoothie gun!”

“Woah, a funnel!”

“I’m going to do a really beautiful rainbow.”

“Yah, I’m going to make a story tomorrow.”

“This house has one window.  I need some help.  Can you hold this while I tape?  Let me see, 1,2,3,4 pieces.”

“I’m going to draw and copy the library.”

While the following quote specifically addresses the light atelier, we believe the core values of our studio are expressed beautifully through these words:

“The atelier space is designed for interactive inquiry and for individual and groups experimentation; a place where children and young people can explore different aspects of light. The atelier is organised around illuminatories; purposely conceived environments proposing issues for enquiry through tools and materials, sustaining the construction of hypotheses and theories in a dimension of exchange and comparison of viewpoints. Hypothesis and theories which embrace imagination, the fantastic and narrative as forms of interpretation and explanation, in interaction with more scientific and rational forms. The illuminatories do not orient us in a single direction or towards a single solution, but enable us to investigate the same concept from different point of views, manipulating light and its properties in different ways.”

–intention of the light atelier, Reggio Emilia