Picking Up Where We Left Off

Still thinking about CARGO SHIPS and LETTERS

Case, Charlie S., & Wes were working together to build a ship in the block area.  Their ship was made out of blocks and was accented with dogs, cats, bottle caps (for food bowls), and wooden letters.  There was a string of 4 letters positioned upright on one side of the ship.

“That says cargo ship.”  Charlie (referring to the 4 letters on the ship)

“For real life?”  Case

“Yeah.”  Charlie 

“For real?”  Case

After some discussion, it’s decided that DJ will write out CARGO SHIP on a piece of paper so that they can use it to help them as they build their ship.  

All three boys look the piece of paper over

Charlie declares, “We should keep this because we’ll need it!”  (referring to the S that they used on the ship already)

Case, Charlie, and Wes all bring the piece of paper over to the basket of wooden letters in order to find the correct letters and place them on their ship.  

They begin to place the letters on the ship, starting with the letter that is farthest to the right and working their way back (from right to left).  Once they have successfully placed all of the letters on the ship, they use the CARGO SHIP paper to examine their work. Wes checks over the paper very carefully, wanting to ensure that they have represented it accurately.

“Guys, this one needs to turn around.” (referring to an upside down G)  Wes

After making this adjustment, they study the paper carefully.  They read it proudly, pointing to each letter to “sound it out”. (backwards and forwards)  Once satisfied, they discuss throwing away the CARGO SHIP paper.

“We should throw this away ‘cause we’re done.”  Charlie

“No, we should save it because if we throw it away we won’t have it for the next time we need it and then we’ll make waste.  We should save it for the next time we need it.” Wes

The boys agree to keep it hung up in the block area to refer to in the future. 

Still thinking about GAMES

“How ‘bout we play checkers on this board (a large block)?  We play this at our lake house. Our lake house is in New Hampshire.”  Wes

“I went to New Hampshire.  I went to Lake Winnasocki and I stayed in a house there.”  Tait

“I’ll go first.”  Wes

Wes appears to be very familiar with checkers, but Tait doesn’t seem interested.  But the idea of a game piques his interest.

“Wanna play Beyblades?”  Tait

“We can’t play Beyblades!  We don’t have anywhere to spin them!”  Wes

Wes gets to work building walls around the large block, making it more suitable for Beyblades, and the two of them start spinning their bottle caps.
“3, 2, 1, Let it rip!”

Charlotte, who has been building in the block area near them, begins to watch them eventually moving closer to listen more carefully.

“My brother has Beyblades.”  Wes

“Yeah, my brothers have Beyblades too.”  Tait

With some encouragement from DJ, Wes and Tait start explaining Beyblades to Charlotte.  Wes describes the game carefully and ends with an explanation of the explosion that occurs when the Beyblades crash.

“If you saw them explode, you wouldn’t believe it… But my brother doesn’t like Beyblades anymore.”  Tait

Still thinking about COLORS

Arriving back after our long holiday break, the children were introduced to exploring wire.  Providing them small, colorful strands, the children quickly delighted in “knotting” them and creating “hooks” with which to create long strands of interlocking pieces.

“You just need to make a hook shape.  Make a lot of them!” -Case

Some discussion around the colors of the wire and their particular names bubbled up.  

“I know what that color is called.  I know the name actually.  I just can’t remember it tho’.” -Addie

Charlie N. narrated a list of colors that she felt were her “favorites.”  This prompted Miles to observe his own likings.

“I like all the colors actually.  ‘Cept white.  I don’t like white.” -Miles

Why?

“Cause it’s just a color you can write and draw on!” -Charlie N.

Still thinking about KNOTS

After bringing some small groups into the museum to visit the work of Sheila Pepe, we provided the children materials to stimulate their thinking about her art and more specifically about how her designs also create a hidden aspect through it’s shadows.  While our intention is to bring out the children’s thinking around shadows, her materials present a new challenge which we need to explore and master first.  

How do we tie knots so our work will dangle and weave such as hers?

“How do you thread this together?” -Luca

“I’m trying to connect them together.” -Charlie N.

“I’m finding these holes.  I’m doing it!” -Caroline
“Me too!  Isn’t it very cool?  It’s so pretty.” -Ruthie
“It’s a design.” -Caroline
“Caroline, Look what I did!  I think this is called knitting.” -Ruthie

“You lay it straight. Then you do that.  Then you put the string through the hole.  Then you pull it tight.  I’ve been learning for a long time.” -Addie

“So should I hook them up?” -Louis to Travers

“Find a hole then you have to make a hole into another one and then it makes a hole.  Then you can tie one back up to another.  Ooo, we’re making mine making mine pretty cool!” -Travers to Louis

The addition of a wonderful tying table created by Mark has given more ways to practice our knot tying skills.

“I made a knot!  It’s easy to untie.  You just do this and this.  Then see?  All done!” -Ian

"Oh I can do that with my hand! It's easy peesy!" -Miles