When I was a baby…

Early one morning, as children were arriving in Studio Blue, Amelia was sad about saying goodbye and she was crying. Asha noticed this right away. She observed from where she was playing for a bit, and then came over to join Amelia.

Asha: When I was a baby, I was crying.

Amelia: I don’t want my mommy to go.

Diane tells Amelia and Asha that she is going to get her clipboard and the girls decide to do the same. By the time they come back together, Amelia has stopped crying and she is happy to continue this conversation with Asha.

Amelia:  When I was a baby, I cried a lot too and I drinked a baby bottle and I drinked some of mama’s milk too. And I goed in a baby high chair. I didn’t go to school when I was a baby.

Asha: I went to school when I was a baby.

That’s me. That’s mama. That’s mama. That’s mama. 

-Amelia

Later, Cal and Saige are sitting together and we wonder, What were you like when you were a baby?

Cal: I cried and cried and cried. And I run and run and run when I was a baby. Well, and I grow some flowers in my garden when I was a baby.

Saige: I was a baby. I just played. I stayed at home. Yea. I stayed at Nia and papa’s. No, no. We just moved to my own house now. Yea.

So, when you were a baby, you lived in a different house?

Saige: Yea.

Kyla: My baby’s like something about…and she’s different about me.

Ruthie: I was baby Ruthie and Ruthie was baby Ruthie. I think…Mama would read the owl book on the plane.

Caroline and Kaya have been traveling around Studio Blue, happily singing aloud and enjoying each other. This soon develops into some sort of imaginative, dramatic play. Caroline has brought a baby doll to the corner of the room by the big blocks. Kaya is sitting up on a block. Kaya tells Diane, I told him (Caroline) I was a baby.