We’re Still Having an Ice Cream Party!

A small group is out at the playground. Most of the children are playing by themselves or with one other child.

Wesley is busy filling the wooden wagon with woodchips. He finds Diane and asks, Do you want vanilla or mint chocolate chip?

Wesley explains that you can only have one ice cream. The mint chocolate chip needs to be in a cone.

Wesley returns to report that his ice cream store is locked now. Tomorrow it will open again. It will change flavors each day, he explains. Wesley adds, That’s the best part!

Mark pokes his head outside and says, Hey, people are hungry. We’re going to clean up and have snack.
Most of the children hear this and want to go right inside. When the outdoor play continues, Wesley and Johann are the only two children still outside and they are standing together in the ice cream store.

Wesley: Did you eat it for real life?

Johann: I ate the ice cream.

Wesley: For real life?

Johann: What?

Wesley: For real life, you ate the ice cream?

Johann: No.

Wesley: Put it back in here.

Johann: I put it back.

Wesley: (In a silly voice) I don’t see anything that got cleaned back up.

Johann: I made it an invisible. I made it invisible.

Wesley: The mint chocolate chip is coming up!

Wesley asks Johann, Would you like some more?

Johann: I’ll dump this when I get to the door.

That’s a good plan.

Should we eat this before we go inside?

Johann: Yea.

Johann: I’ll make a chair for myself.

Wesley: If you want more ice cream you can go over there.

Wesley: Johann, you get another flavor! We’re still having the ice cream party. Put it back! You get another flavor when you put it back.

I’m all done. You can have another flavor if you want to. I’m finished. I’m going to be a watcher.

Wesley: Johann, we’re still having a ice cream party!

Johann: Yea. But without Diane.  

They sit together on the structure and eat their ice cream.

Johann: I ate my ice cream again.

Wesley: You get another…the store is locked. The store is locked.

I’ll dump my cone at the door!

Oh, like Johann’s plan. Johann had that plan too.

When we get back inside, Wesley joins everyone else on the meeting rug. Johann sits on the floor to change his shoes. Wesley asks Mark not to begin reading the book until Johann is ready and can hear the whole book.

Three times in a row, Wesley tells Mark, Don’t do it until Johann’s here

When Johann joins Wesley and the rest of the group on the rug, Mark reads a new book called Help!: A Story of Friendship. 

Seems quite fitting.