“Obviously the shadow is black.”

Capitalizing on the children’s interest with wire and drawing, this week we introduced an overhead projector, adding another element into this exploration. Rather than simply explaining this new machine to the children, during meeting we brought them into the back room so they could see first hand the work they would be doing.

The projector had several pieces of wire, projected onto the wall.

Children were immediately intrigued.

We asked, what do you notice?

Lea (pointing) – Wait… 

Mika – That’s a shadow.
Alex – The light goes on here and reflects on the wall and it makes the shadow.

Ursula – Two little bunnies hopping all day, one came along and took him away.

Mika – One little bunny hopping really high.

What if we put all these wires on the projector. Will we see all the colors?

“YES” they all responded. 

“Except maybe not black ’cause obviously the shadow is black.” – Sam

“I see a picture of it.” – Thomas

“That’s ’cause of the light on the front. Thomas, look where I’m looking.”
                                                                                – Kaya

“Because of the light.” – Eva

“You can only see the shadow and not the color.” – Kyla

Curious about this new phenomenon, children continued to explore all the nuances of this new instrument. 

Tessa began testing whether or not drawings on paper would be projected onto the wall,

“I have to put this paper on. Oh… you can’t see it.” She then placed her wire creation on the projector – “Oh, you can see that.” Others followed suit, trying both paper and wire pieces onto the projector, 

Zack, too, tests his paper drawing on the overhead.  Looking at the wall he announces “I can’t see it.”  Mika watching his brother brings over his wire sculpture and places it gently down.  “Look no paper.”  Zack looking at the wall exclaims “Mika, look I made a picture.”