Getting to know us.

These first three days of school have been filled with children and teachers and parents coming to know one another. How do we meet new people? How do we begin to play? What happens in Studio Red? How do we enter our space? How do we resolve conflicts? How do we care for materials and each other?

We have been witnessing children actively creating community as they explore ways of being with one another. Kindness and curiosity abound!

Marky finds three winged lego pieces for Josef.

Avia watches closely as Ruby works with clay, figuring out how it moves and feels.

“Do you want to play with me?”  Elliott asks Sophie.

Sofia and Charlotte hold hands and walk around the room sharing with others, “My shoes fell asleep!”  You see, the shoes do not like the feeling of their velcro tabs, and so they take a nap.

“We built something really, really amazing,”  Violet says about a block structure built by three.

“I made it different.”  Helen figures out how her Lego plane can shift.

“I have a question.  How would you get up on the roof?”  Eleanor asks Callen, wondering about his mansion with a pool on the top.

Nico works to set up Marky’s rest space, pulling the corners of his blanket to make it smooth.  Again and again he goes from one to the next, pulling and flattening.

Alex goes to find Charlotte to let her know there is a space open to play with painting. 

Parker explains to Charlotte how to play with the hippety hop ball outside. 

Avery, Eleanor, and Alex look through a book together, taking turns flipping pages and creating mixed-up faces.

Through questions, movements, gazes, explanations, and exclamations, children have been learning about our community and creating a community. They have been making visible so much of what they already know as well as their openness to the unknown.

As Violet explains simply, "That's something we don't know about yet."