Birds

At a recent staff meeting with our Learning and Engagement team from the deCordova, we were discussing our Umbrella Topic,
How do children's evolving relationships with art and nature illuminate empathy? We were sharing how the children show the development of empathy when caring for the baby dolls in Studio Blue. The question was asked if they are also doing the same with their birds. The answer, in fact, was no. The children had not thought of their birds as in need of care. So, what have we seen happening with the birds? And why aren't they caring for the birds as they have with the baby dolls?

From the beginning of the year, the birds have been used as a source of comfort, a security object that many children continue to benefit from. Oftentimes the birds are held close first thing in the morning. Children use their birds when saying goodbye at drop-off (as seen in photos above). For some, the birds are held close for quite some time; one hand clutching their special bird, often eventually tucked under an arm, their free hand available to engage in activity, as seen below.

At other times, we see children carry their birds with them to play, but they are set down nearby on a table or the floor.

Above, we see a crucial part of empathy highlighted that might be overlooked or seen as less valuable: the children need these birds to care for them.

The children are able to see themselves as big and capable when playing with each other and caring for themselves, their belongings, and sometimes, the baby dolls. Yet their use of these birds reminds us that they too need to be cared for as they grow, learn and challenge themselves in new ways. They are expressing their own vulnerability at this time in their lives, their own need for attention, love and care.

The foundation of an empathetic spirit lies in the ability to recognize one's own needs. In learning to fulfill these needs, children gain a deeper awareness and understanding of themselves. The next step is seeing this in others.

More recently, the birds have been used in new and different ways. The birds are used to connect with materials around them; a way to extend the possibility in the material. 

Chris pretends to give playdough food to his bird. 

This bird is looking for some food.
Many children have been using the scarves to transform into ghosts, tigers, witches and blueberries.

Jack finds his bird and covers it with scarves. 

Ooooooooo! Bird ghost! That a ghost. Then it can fly away.

Jamie: I want to make ‘the road is closed’. I want to make a tunnel for the bird…because he can hide…to hide in.

Jack: Me gonna make my bird is closed.

That’s water. For the bird. 

Drink, drink, drink.

Now he goes back to bed. 

Jamie: Where are my birds?
Jack: There it is!

A recent play was observed between Ellie and Livia. The two were taking turns pretending to be a doctor and a patient. The patient lays on the wobble board and the doctor sits up in the chair. The girls engaged in this play repeatedly, switching between roles 7-8 times. Other children came to observe, some wanted to join but this was respected as a game for two people until they were ready for more. Livia is the doctor first. Tucking her bird under her left arm, Livia uses her right hand to gently rub Ellie's forehead. She then continues with her bird held in both of her hands, appearing to use the bird as a tool in caring for Ellie. Although nothing is said about the birds, when it is Ellie's turn to be the doctor, she also cares for Livia using her bird.

Livia: Now I’m the doctor.

Ellie: Yea. We’re gonna feel better.

Livia: Ok. Close your eyes. Open your eyes.

Ellie: Can I have more?

Livia: Yea.

Ellie: On my toes and my ears?

Livia: Yea

Ellie: And my arm?

Now Ellie is the doctor and Livia is the patient.

Ellie: I’m gonna cover your eyes…cover your eyes. There. Now it’s my turn, doctor. 

Livia: Now it’s my turn.

The birds have served a purpose in the beginning weeks of school, and that is to care for each of the children in Blue, as they adjust to their new school community. These birds are beginning to grow in their potential for the children, an opportunity to strengthen their relationship with materials and with one another. As Johann so clearly stated, When I'm a grownup, sometimes I turn back into a kid...Through the birds, the children have yet again, proven this to be true.