Studio Yellow, Week 24

Dr. Emily in the 'house.'

Emily. Jamie’s mom and a family practitioner, shared her wisdom and the tools of her trade with the group this week.  She explained that her main role was to keep her patients healthy but if they were unwell to figure out what was making them sick.  She shared that she uses her senses as well as the tools from her bag to help diagnose her patients.  The children were introduced to the workings of an ophthalmoscope, an otoscope, a stethoscope, a medical tuning fork, a reflex hammer plus a blood pressure cuff.  They were also excited to wear medical grade gloves and try out giving ‘shots.’

Emily read the story Poor Little Rabbit! where a rabbit grazed his arm after a fall.  The children all helped make the rabbit feel better by giving him comfort and adding colorful Bandaids to his ‘boo boo.’

This may look like a vase of water but looks can be deceptive. it is actually full of colorless jumbo water beads.

We recently discovered that water beads come in various sizes, introducing the largest of them into the sensory table. While the main attraction seems to be their squishy texture and ability to bounce, children have also been noticing their colors while sorting and pouring. We wondered if we could use the beads to mix colors and in doing so create an even wider array of colors. So began an experiment of sorts.

Ellie – It’s changing color
Wesley – I want to make a bath tub. (For the water bead to go in)
Makenna – Mine are already taking color.

Teddy – Mine is a good bath.  I’m sucking up all the water color.
Wesley – Mine is sinking.
Teddy – If you fill it to the top it will sink.  Wesley, you have to do two at at time.  Look what happens if you roll it (the bead) on the tray.  The tray turns red.
Ellie – If you stick it in the paint it gets more purple.
Wesley – Now I am doing two at a time.
Ellie – Now mine broke.  I can put the paint into the water bead.
Wesley – Blue and yellow.  It will turn yellow.  Oh…green.
Josie– ORANGE!
Teddy – It’s red and yellow.  Actually…orange!
Suki – I think it’s gonna turn purple because blue and red make purple.
Chris – I’m gonna make the rainbow.  I’m gonna use all the colors.
Ben – I’m making black.  My idea is to try to dip it (the eye dropper) inside mine.
Chris – If you look high up it’s black but down low you can’t see any colors.

Did you know that it takes forty gallons of sugar maple sap to make one gallon of maple syrup?  This is something we learned from Tom and Eri, Nina’s parents, when they shared how they tap fifty trees on their farm to make this sweet delight.  Ask your child to explain the process from tapping the tree to pouring golden syrup on your breakfast pancakes.  Then let them tell you how yummy the syrup was on homemade scones for snack.

Celebrating William!