Studio Yellow, Week 21

For some time, we have been witness to some very big feelings in Studio Yellow, not always to the best outcome. In an effort to aid children with identifying these feelings, we shared two stories with the group. Our hope is to help validate these often uncomfortable feelings, while helping children find ways to express them appropriately. In turn, children opened up and shared similar feelings of their own.

I was feeling GREY because sometimes I think there are monsters in my closet. – Ellie
Sometimes I feel sad when I read a sad story like The Giving Tree. That’s a sad story. And
I feel RED because sometimes Tessa take toys out of my hand. – Ben
Ben is feeling two things, sad
and mad – I think he sounds all mixed up. – Ellie 
Sometimes I feel RED because my fence was knocked down. – Jamie
I was feeling BLUE because my mommy wasn’t there. – Suki
I was feeling BLUE because my mom and dad went on a trip. – Josie
Sometimes I get so sad because Mommy, Daddy, Grandma and Sarah are not there.  Sometimes I feel RED in a shop because I was thinking about bad guys. – Nina
How does GREEN make you feel?
Calm. – Makenna
Relaxing, snuggly. – Ben
Sleepy. – Wesley
Sometimes when I was
GREY, in bed I heard a zombie scritching at my door. – Chris
I felt someone punching at my neck.  Someone was doing it to me last night.  It was a monster. – Wesley
PINK?
Happy. – Makenna
Loveable. – Suki
Loving. – Makenna
One time when Alex was over, that’s Daddy’s cousin, I was feeling BLUE because Mommy wouldn’t let me snuggle because it was too early. – Jamie
Last time I was feeling RAINBO
Wish – that means happy. – William
How ’bout silver? I feel SILVER when I’m excited because I’m going to Vermont. – Ben
I feel SILVER because I’m going to Bahamas! – Josie
Yesterday night I was feeling GREEN because I was sleeping. – Suki

Clearly the rainy weather has kept all of us inside more than we would like. Wesley and Linden attempted to transform the reading area into a gym to begin their workout class. Limited on space, we decided to re-locate this to the playground to allow for safe bigger body movements. With a clear vision in mind, Wesley gladly took on the role of instructor.

We’re having an exercise class. It’s a plain workout – we do workout stuff.

First I want to run around the whole school.

Pick up weights – bricks and the rocks.

Then we have to score balls in the hoop.

And that’s all.

The myriad of treats that get ‘mixed, stirred, baked and eaten’ daily on the playground and within the studio inspired us to become real chefs. 

After reading the book Pete’s a Pizza, where Pete’s father makes Pete into a pizza during a rainy day, we decided to create our own individual pizzas to eat for snack.

It’s YUMMY. – Linden

There has been interest in creating patterns with different materials offered within the studio.
I’m making a pattern. – Suki
In purple and pink. – Ellie
Patterns are you do one color then another. – Ellie.
And then again, again and again. – Makenna
That’s not a pattern – it’s supposed to be one color, then the same color, then the different color, then the same color, then the different color. – Wesley

Celebrating Chris!