Studio Red 2017-18

A Visit From Skip.

Jane’s grandfather, Skip, came to share his butterfly collection with us. He shared stories and information. Through questions, observations, and drawings, we learned about butterflies. What are the moths before they hatch?  LYLA Why is

Read More »

“First you draw the outline.” Ryan

A book can help you draw. -Charlie A marker can draw. – Arya Many of the children in Studio Red have been drawing animals. Through their personal interests, they build relationships with each other, the

Read More »

“It’s not heavy for us…”

“It’s not heavy for us, it’s heavy for the stick!” “No, that won’t work.  It’s too weak.”  BIRDIE “Too long.”  BEATRICE “Birdie, it feels like it’s getting heavy.  Oh, it’s stuck! That’s why.”  CHARLOTTE “Chester,

Read More »

Welcome to the Caps For Sale Play . . .

An invitation to act out a familiar story for each other evolved into a performance — one that required an audience! “We can invite Nancy and Lisa!”  Lyla Over several mornings and afternoons, the children

Read More »

A paintbrush can…

“Painting is a wonderfully sensuous experience.  Plunging into color with a brush, gliding, swooping , skimming along, changing paper into a playspace aglow with color – these are joys that enthrall painters.  In the rhythm and

Read More »

“I think he’s really ready to go.”

“He’s flapping his wings. He’s trying to fly.” “I’m going to see the next one released!” CHESTER “We have to change the number again.”  Lyla 38 + 1 = 39 butterflies released from Studio Red! “Next

Read More »

Storytelling

In Studio Red we have been telling stories.  One at a time, we draw a name from the bunch and invite the author to take a seat.  We have now listened to five stories, and eleven

Read More »

From territories, to castles…

“This is a territory for animals.” GRAEME The water animals go in the water. The land animals go on the land.  GRAEME I’ll put some rocks in the forest.  MAREN I’m thinking about the butterflies. 

Read More »

Tape

Children bring to the exploration of tape their own understandings of its properties and functions.  Through their work together, the potential and the vocabulary of the material expands, opening new ways of relating to this ordinary

Read More »

Gathering

Over these first days of Studio Red, adults and children have been gathering together. In large groups and small, we have been deep in conversation and observation of one another. In this way we are

Read More »