Studio Red 2017-18

Making a plan.

The Inspiration. Maren brought a sprouting onion into Studio Red. The Possibilities. 1.  It could be a Q. 2.  It looks like a palm tree. 3.  We could plant it. She shared her thinking with the

Read More »

alphabets all around

Looking closely at the wood chips, Brooke began finding letters. Each time she encountered another possible letter, she brought the piece to Lauri and they saved it in a bowl. This week, we invited others to

Read More »

What might a slug be thinking?

“Hi, let’s eat our slime.”​ “Let’s change our baby’s diapers.” “We are the prettiest slugs in the world.” “We are going to make a movie.” “Want to eat dinner with me?” “Let’s give our babies our

Read More »

“We need to organize!” Brooke

“You should go to the food place.  They make really good food.  I just had a chocolate pancake.”  -Chester Studio Red has opened a restaurant. In previous iterations it was a candy store, lasting for a

Read More »

This is everybody’s mountain. Graeme

We have continued to think around playgrounds with the children.  Through Mies Von Hout’s story Playground they have imagined what defines a playground.  Inspired by its cover, they have explored through drawing, “What if letters were a

Read More »

Can you guess my rule?

A simple game can bring such joy and reveal our thinking! During transitions to the rug we have been playing different games with the children. This week we invited them to play the game on

Read More »

How can we use these tools with clay?

Last week, we presented the children with a collection of handmade tools. In small groups we invited them to examine the objects and choose one to draw from observation. We wondered together, WHAT COULD THEY

Read More »

Which one works the best?

Last Monday, Diane began work with a small group of three: Chester, Maren, and Brooke. She invited them to create a video about how to build a catapult. The children decided that they want the video

Read More »

Why we draw from observation.

“I have learned that what I have not drawn, I have never really seen…”  –Frederick Franck An object, brought back from an adventure in the woods, is currently the focus of our observational drawing.  As we

Read More »

How do slugs eat? A conversation.

The group conversation is a way for children to think together around one idea. It is a way for them to build off of each other’s observations and to challenge existing understandings. While watching a

Read More »

“This one works the best.” Birdie

“A catapult is a thing you put one thing down and you put another thing down and you shoot something.” -Sevi Children have been returning to the catapults, constructing and reconstructing these levers to test

Read More »