Studio Red: week 7

Dear Studio Red,

This week we continued to break natural objects apart to learn about them.  Can you find more seeds at home?

Love, Lauri and Emily

OUR WEEK IN PARTS

INDOOR EXPLORE

more children play with milkweed in small groups…

How do milkweed seeds move?

after finding a book about worms in the library, a group of children began to explore our worm habitat…

What do see as we dig for worms?

we continued to investigate wire in a new way…

What can wire become?

How do we make wire transform?

BOOKS

This week we read Seeds Move over a few days.  The conversation was rich.  Children thought this must be a chapter book because we spent so much time with it!  There was great joy each time they recognized a seed or could name how how it moved.

We spent time looking at books all about seeds.  Looking at books together, we read the pictures, seeking information.  We reference details and make new discoveries.  We begin to notice the letters on the page.  We pose questions to each other to extend our learning.  We discover how books bring joy and draw us closer to one another!

OUTDOOR EXPLORE

"Do you still want to play with me outside?"

We have noticed children asking each other about outside play before we go out.  “Will you play with me?”  “Do you want to make the ice cream shop?” Negotiating outdoor play is hard work.  

REFLECTION MEETING

This week Lauri returned and asked, “What happened when I was gone?”  Charlie Schubert began a conversation about the butterfly we released.  

We released the last one.  Charlie Schubert

We can get more caterpillars. Louis

Monarch caterpillars only come in the summer.  When the leaves change color and fall it’s fall.  Thomas

The leaves are turning red, yellow, gray.  Case

And gold.  Miles

Yeah, and gold.  Case

I know which ones die.  Some stay green.  I know what they are called, pine needle trees.  My mom told me.  Travers

Some people call them evergreens because they are forever green.  Lauri

Pine needle trees last for every single winter.  Pine needle trees never die.  Thomas

They do when they’re on fire.  Case

Or when they get cut off.  Luca

If you cut a root off.  Charlie Schubert

If you cut all the roots.  They help keep the tree up.  Louis

They help give water to the tree.  Charlie Nicholson

They suck water up a tree.  Louis

Trees actually die in the winter time.  All trees.  Travers

I used to think winter was just Christmas.  Louis

We now know winter is so much more.

What more do we know about the seasons?

another conversation…

We teachers have been trying to solve a problem.  We notice our studio becoming very loud throughout our play inside.  We try various tools to help children become aware of their volume and modulate their voices.  We give kind reminders.  We lower our own voices.  We give children visuals of a turning volume knob.  We begin some days of play in pairs.  We encourage children to approach others to speak.  And yet, the problem persists.

And so we brought it to the children.

We have noticed how the classroom can get very loud. Sometimes we are silent, during rest our volume is at zero. Sometimes we are talking like this at a three. But sometimes, when we get excited or upset, or are simply trying to be heard, we reach a ten.

How can we work together to keep our volume at a three?

We be quieter.  CASE

Stop.  THOMAS

We do not say anything.  THOMAS

We quiet our voice down.  CASE

A regular voice, like this, “Hi.”  [A regular voice, like this high.]  THOMAS

How do we do that?  EMILY

You just start using one.   Someone reminds you.  CASE

You have to say can you please be quiet.” LOUIS

Because it stays inside and the voice message…It doesn’t go outside with the door closed.  JACKSON

It can break your eardrums.  LUCA

Then you can’t hear anything.  IAN

Our ears can be hurt and when it is loud our bodies can feel different.  You can feel in yellow, a little uncomfortable, like moving around.  EMILY 

Does it feel like a heart attack? CASE

Say, “Stop please.”  MILES

CAROLINE whispers “Please be quiet.”

Oh, you can give a kind reminder, and you can also try lowering your voice like Caroline just did.  EMILY

GREETINGS & GAMES

This week we introduced a new game called “Which one doesn’t belong?”  Playing over several days we return to past thinking and build new ways of seeing together.  It is a game with so many possibilities!  This game provokes us to think through multiple perspectives and give reasons to support our conclusions.  Through this game, we also begin to see one another in new ways.

The mug doesn’t belong because it has a handle.  Katie

The mug doesn’t belong because it’s not food.  Louis

The bagel doesn’t belong because it is a square.  Jackson

STORY WORKSHOP

We continued to discover stories through material play.  We shared back Katie’s discovery to teach the group a tool that authors use. 

"We are just playing 'til we make up a story." Katie

"You can do them wherever you are."
Caroline

"I have a story in my mouth. My tooth hurts." Luca