Taking Care of One Another

Mark has gone outside to play in the snow with a few children. Ellie wants to join them, and she is working on putting her snowsuit on. When her boot gets stuck and she can't fix it on her own,she looks for Diane to help her. Ellie calls out to Diane several times, but Diane is working with another child and does not go to Ellie right away... 

Can you help me with my snowsuit?

Jamie hears Ellie and sits down on the rug next to her.

Jamie: I’ll help you.

Ellie: How do you do this Jamie? How do you do this Jamie?

Jamie: I can. (He says something to her that cannot be heard)

Ellie: That’s a great idea, Jamie! You did it Jamie! You’re a great helper!

Ellie’s other foot is also stuck. Johann is close by and he has been observing. When Jamie and Ellie continue to struggle, Johann sits down and joins them, offering his help. They all work together to get Ellie’s boots free from her snowsuit. 

Ellie: You did it guys! There. You’re doing it. We’re doing it guys!

Johann: I have those velcroes.

Jamie: And I like your boots.

Ellie: Do you like my boots, Johann? Oh. I like your boots, Johann. They’re black. And I like your sneakers, they have a zip. A zipper, just like I have a zipper. We both have zippers, right? We both have the same new snowsuit! That’s fun! You want to help? You’re helping me.

Shortly thereafter, Elliot has come back inside, after playing outside in the snow. Jack notices Elliot by his cubby and the following interaction occurs.

Jack: Oh! Got your sneaker…Here it is! 

Jack brings Elliot’s shoes over to him and begins to loosen the velcro.

Jack: Aaaagh! I’m trying to put your foot on. You help to put his foot on? 

Diane loosens the straps a bit more. 

Elliot: Diane!

Jack: Your boots are really….

Livia comes over to the cubbies and is near Elliot’s cubby. She is looking for children’s hearts that are still in their cubbies…

Elliot: (To Livia) No! That is mine!

Livia: That’s not you. Do you want to pick yours?

Jack: That mine…That Elliot’s.

Livia: That’s not yours…Do you want to pick yours, Elliot?

Elliot nods yes.

Livia: Ok, then do it.

Elliot: No that’s mine (He points)

Livia: Do you want to pick it? You?

Elliot: (pointing to his cubby) Yes. 

Livia leaves Elliot’s heart in his cubby so that he can do it himself. Jack is still working to get Elliot’s shoes on. He is grunting while trying very hard. Elliot falls over when Jack is pushing his shoe on. They both giggle. 

Jack: I’m trying...he laughs….That’s funny. Your shoe is stuck…now you..

As Elliot stands up, with Jack’s help, he now has his shoe on. Jack gently pats Elliot on his back, noticing that he is still wearing a vest.

Jack: Then do you want to take that off? Sure you don’t want to take that off?

Elliot: Umm…no.

Jack and Elliot walk together further into the classroom. They stay together and help the rest of the group to get ready for meeting. 

"It is through others that we develop into ourselves."

-Lev Vygotsky