Take Care of You

While reading A Mother for Choco one morning, a small group came together to share their ideas around a question. The question was asked of a character in the story, but during a short pause to turn the page, Wesley offered his own answer. Other children then contributed their ideas as well.

"If you had a mommy, what would she do?"

Wesley: Take care of you.

Hug.

Kiss.

Kesler: Or cuddling.

Jump.

Poop on the potty.

Pee.

Put underwear on.

Put pants on.

And put a shirt on.

Put ideas on.

Put a vacuum on.

Put a page on.

Read.

Get a book.

Wear shoes.

Socks.

Wear boots and a jacket.

Stella: And hairdos and glasses.

The children seem to be thinking about this question through a few different lenses…

What does my mommy do?

What does my mommy do to take care of me?

How does my mommy help me?

At first, I wondered if the bathroom talk and a few other ideas that seemed nonsensical, were coming from an attempt at being silly or to make others laugh. Upon reflection, however, the children were not giggling when offering these thoughts and their ideas build upon each other. The words “putting on” were echoed from the few previous thoughts around clothing, resulting in “put ideas on,” likely meaning giving me ideas. 

Learning to use the bathroom independently is a big focus in the lives of two and three year olds, at whichever developmental stage each of the children are in. A rather large portion of a parents’ time is spent helping children with toilet learning and in developing the independent skills all children need as they grow. Therefore, it only makes sense for these ideas to be included in this list.  

We reread the list together and I wonder, What else would a mommy do? 

Wesley: I want to write something. I. Don’t. Know. I want you to write down my words – I don’t know. 

I write down I don’t know for Wesley on the list. 

Kesler jumps up out of his seat in the rocking chair and soon comes back carrying his bird, his clipboard and his pencil. 

Kesler tells us, I am gonna write down something for my mom. 

That says cuddling.
Kesler's "writing" is represented by the round marks made on the paper. The broad scribbles were added later on, either by Kesler or another child.
Now I'm gonna try...jumping.