Newsletter, Sept. 23-26

Dear Studio Blue,
We found new tools to work with, and new ways to play with each other this week.

Clipboards are good for taking orders, writing friends’ names, and more

This Tuesday, each of you got your own clipboard
with your name and picture on it, which hangs above your bird.

Jemima, you asked if we can take them home and found out that the  clipboards will stay at school.

William, you wrote on your clipboard and said, I’m writing my name. I’m drawing my mommy and daddy. Look what I drew.

Camden, you know a clipboard can be something you or your sister could use at school, and said, This my school. My sister’s school. This my school. 

Will, you knew: I have to write things down on my clipboard.

And many of you used your clipboard to take orders for the restaurant.

Arlo, you were writing names: I need to write Ferdinand something. I write down Llewyn’s name. Then I write Kairan’s name. I want to write Jemima too. This is a lot of names. And Alice. And Will. I write Will. This is enough.
Later, you pointed at all the children’s pictures, naming them all, and asking when you forgot someone’s name.

What Can We Use a Stick For? (a tool, perhaps . . . ?)

On the playground, we have used sticks as all kinds of tools: hoses, wrenches, gas pumps, music makers, walking sticks, drawing implements, for picking things up, and more. When some of you rubbed pipes across the sand table, we thought of another tool: sandpaper. Sandpaper is a tool for making wood smooth. We put some on a wooden table and many of you liked rubbing it. Then this week we put out a new tool: screws and screwdrivers. You liked working with the screwdrivers, and wondered as you turned it, “Does this make the screw go in, or come out?” When you looked under the table you could see the screw sticking out.

We know how to build alone… and together!

Sculpture Park Walk!

Fondly,
Diane and Mark